About this WineUncensored episode
It’s Port Week! To celebrate, Dirk Niepoort and Stefano Marello of Niepoort Vinhos joined John Sporing, founder of A Life Well Drunk for a virtual tasting on January 12th, 2021.
Did you miss the live tasting? Don’t worry, watch it here:
In the first of two Port Week tastings, we sipped and discussed four of their wines:
- 10 Year Old Tawny
- Colheita 2004
- Vintage 2017
The wines can be purchased at various locations:
- New York: Astor, Wine.com, Saratoga Wine Exchange, Empire Wine and Spirits, Zachy’s, Suburban, Union Square Wines, PJ’s Wines
- New Jersey: Wine Library, Passion Vines, Tewksbury Fine Wines, Corkscrew, Jersey W&S
- Illinois: Vin Chicago and Binny’s
- Birmingham: Piggly Wiggly, Crestline, Red or White
- Huntsville: Domaine South, Liquor Express
- Tuscaloosa: Spirits Wine Cellar
- Mobile, Fairhope and Orange Beach: Red or White
- Wine.com carries some of the ports.
- California: K&L, Draegars, and Healthy Spirits
Niepoort has been an independent family business since 1842. Through five generations, the business passed successfully from one Niepoort to the next Niepoort and in most cases, the older and younger generations worked side by side.
Niepoort’s mission is to maintain its position of “niche player”, continuing to produce distinctive ports and Douro wines, combining centuries-old tradition with innovation. This combination has come to include wines from two other regions that have contributed to marking out the Douro – Bairrada – Dão triangle.
The importance they attach to the need to interpret soils, climates and grape varieties has led them on the path of Biodynamics, a relationship that looks to respect the “moods” of Nature, listening to nature to find a balance between biodiversity and the least possible intrusive intervention. In Biodynamics, they give particular attention to the interrelationship between all the people involved in a continuous demand for respect for their idiosyncrasies and appreciation of what they have and bring of best to the Niepoort family.